Mobile device video problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by janner, Jul 1, 2013.

1. janner

janner Hand Dragger

Could anyone explain to me why someone would not allow their video to be viewed on a mobile device, as i only have my phone and an ipad to watch videos on!

2. stupha

stupha Hand Dragger

IPads - and iPhones - don't play Flash (for a variety of technical and security reasons), and most online video is currently still Flash Video format. More and more sites are moving to HTML5-compatible video, which will work on iOS, but not everyone has done this yet.

3. janner

janner Hand Dragger

Thankyou for your quick reply stupha, that makes sense.

I have an android phone and also have this problem.

Is my only option to watch them on a pc or laptop?

4. lwills

lwills El Floppo King

There's normally a setting when you upload videos to sites like youtube to restrict due to locality and whether it can be viewed on mobile devices or not. Not sure why the restriction is put on most of the time tbh, may be an oversight by the uploader unless it's particularly large or high quality.

5. stupha

stupha Hand Dragger

If it's YouTube then, as Iwills says, it's down to the uploader. Or perhaps there's a restriction imposed if the clip contains licensed music - that can certainly cause problems viewing regionally, not sure about mobile vs PC.

I'm not familiar with Android OS, but I don't think it has the same restrictions, so maybe the problem is down to uploader settings.

6. janner

janner Hand Dragger

Thanks alot guys. It is mostly you tube i have problems with, but think on one occasion a video on vimeo didnt work, it was a vid posted by we bodyboard on fb of a bad wipeout if my memory serves me. Cheers for the info.