Hi everyone, some questions

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland' started by bodyboardergt, May 27, 2013.

1. Hi people, I am newly registered in the forum.

I am a bodyboarder from the Basque Country, my local wave is Mundaka and I use to surf also in La Central, Sopelana, Meñakoz...

Well, I am moving to Belfast due to job reasons, and I was wondering if I could catch some waves there in Northern Ireland or near. Are there any good quality waves? Is here in the forum anyone who lives in N.I? I'd love to meet bodyboarders there.

Another thing, I am a bit afraid of the water temperature. I've just bought a Rip Curl F-Bomb 5/4, do you think it's enough? I have also socks, gloves, and hat.

Thank you for reading, sorry if my English isn´t good enough

2. Wattie187

Wattie187 Hand Dragger

Howdy there, I am currently living in Belfast and there are a few others on the board from Northern Ireland.

There are some decent swells on the north coast but mostly through the winter months (hard to differentiate these day from summer). The main breaks across the North Coast are around Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock and Portballintrae. I try to get up as often as possible and whenever there is swell, but haven't been up now for a couple of weeks.

The water temp is cold, ain't going to mess you about there. But it isn't anything that the sort of gear you bought coudn't sort :)

A bit of a further drive around Donegal and the West Coast also has some great waves, to be honest some to big for my blood, but if you are fairly experienced you will probably love them. Referring to Aileens and Rileys, but there are other spots like Easkey reef break.

So all in all we do get decent swell that can be a bit inconsistent mostly during the summer. West coast is more consistent and bigger. Cold you will get used to with the right kit and there are a growing number of Bodyboarders about, they have had comps along with the Standups for a couple of years now.

Any other questions let me know.

Cheers

Lee

3. Thank you very much for your answer, is very satisfying knowing about bodyboarders in Belfast! I hope I could buy there a car to move around the island. I would love to meet bodyboarders there, I think I'll go to Belfast on August more or less, so I'll look forward to you when the date approaches.

Thanks again, cheers!

4. Hi everybody again!

Definitely I arrive to Belfast on Thursday, and I'm going to carry my bodyboard. Is there any swell at this moment? I know that you said that swells on summer aren't very consistent, but is there any possibility?

Thanks!