head cam advice please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Spongedup, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

hi guys im a tech idiot . im after a mid range camera with a headstrap to record my exploits. im by no means a decent body boarder so an entry level cam thats cheap not bulky and will fit on my pin head. any ideas? cheers

2. lwills

lwills El Floppo King

I'd recommend dogcam. I have the hd wide bullet cam (~100 quid) and it comes with a load of mounts and head strap. They normally have the online sales chat on the site too so give em a shout and see what they recommend :)

3. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

i managed to locate that exact model last night cheers fella i`m probably going to invest in it , i may have to modify the strap to get it to remain on the bonce or use a fin saver to prevent it getting lost

4. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

5. lwills

lwills El Floppo King

:) Aw Nice dude, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Lemme know how you get on with it.

Well I've had mine for about a year or so now (Crimbo 2011 present) and I've been playing with it on and off and been really impressed with the videos. I can understand the plan with the mounts. There's one a bit like a goggle strap and the others velcro lined .

I've tried it mounted on my head, velcroed to the arm cuff of a bicep leash and on my wrist. Some worked better than others but I've had a cunning plan to build a non destructive board mount that fits to the leash plug but I'll let you know how that goes... :D

As for the tether, I'm using: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0089T952S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00] D ring Camera Screw[/ame], thin rope and a [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Keychain-Keyring-Lobster-Clasps/dp/B008MMEV2Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357817467&sr=1-1-catcorr] swivel clip[/ame] (didn't buy one, robbed it off a dog lead). Simple and cheap but effective :) , no issues so far. That threaded hole at the back to the camera means it should be pretty secure. I just clip it onto the most solid thing it's near too (wetsuit Zip, Board leash etc.)

6. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

I was thinking along those lines using an old gyro leash to secure it but I will probably end up strangling myself in a wipe out lol. hopefully the supplied velcro one is quite good if not I recently moved house and a company similar to no nails do some pretty secure velcro adhesive straps that can hold up to 50 kg in one pack , I know they will degrade with the salt but its worth a pop at only £7 a packet.

ill keep you posted how i get on.

I have seen those rear body board poles that are plugged where an old retro leg leash would go but unfortunatly i think they ruin the board so dont use your best ill try and look for one and dig it out

7. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

Club Pole Mount for the GoPro Camera

thats the go pro one , im quite sure you could create one for the other cam and tbh it should be smaller , i would use a stainless steel rod or something similar so it doesnt flex and if i remember rightly SS doesnt rust (i may be wrong)

8. lwills

lwills El Floppo King

Nice, yeah I looked at those too. hehe that poles a beast mind! The velcro is good but I was proper paranoid about losing the cam. Realistically you'd have to take a big hit for it to come off but i didn't fancy leaving it to chance.

I've seen a flush to the board go pro mount on here that needed another leash plug but I don't like the idea of doing anything that permanently affects the board. It depends a lot on where you want the camera mind. The mount I've prototyped is secured between the board and the top of the existing plug so it doesn't interfere with anything, and can be added to or removed from any board within minutes :) . Its adjustable too so I'm hoping I can get some nice different shots from it. It's designed to be mainly front facing but may change over time. I figured there's a very small space on a bodyboard that shouldn't get touched or knocked when ridden (even badly by me!) so I've got it out of harms way there (just north of the NMD Logo ;) ). Looking forward to getting it made up and getting a few clips uploaded.