Bad technique maybe?

Discussion in 'How To...' started by timthepig, Feb 25, 2013.

1. timthepig

timthepig Grom

I seem to have problems catching a decent ride in smaller surf (under 3ft). Is this a case of catching a wave/trimming is just harder with smaller waves. I seem to come down it's small face too early as I shove my weight forward and end up stalling. I don't think I understand how to do small surf too well. Maybe I'm expecting too much or maybe the waves aren't suitable or bad technique? - I think I'm over compensating knowing that these waves close out half of the time and just think I want to get ahead asap.

However, in 3ft+ waves. Catch it most of the time, put my weight further onto board (might push the nose down depending) and angle my take off most of the time. I end up trimming the wave good enough.

I suppose to say I have a 41.5 and 42 inch bodyboards and I'm 5 10 and 13 stone might make a difference. Maybe the smaller surf requires a bigger board?

As most of the time, I will be in 2 to 3ft. When the bigger surf comes along. I seem to nearly always have an awesome session. I think I maybe using a technique suited to bigger waves that can carry me better.

Any advice would be great?

Another question...Anyone know how Southerndown compares to Rest Bay? - and has anyone had a go at ESP in Porthcawl?

2. timthepig

timthepig Grom

I think I should reiterate my question? How the feck do you prone in under 3ft waves?

3. KernowBysVyken

KernowBysVyken El Floppo King

I reckon a lot of it could be the board. I have a 45" BZ big bruddah for small stuff, but I'm a couple of inches taller than you and probably a stone or two heavier. At 5'10" and 13 stone, I reckon a 42" could be alright in small stuff if it's quite thick, PE core and with a bat tail, but if it's a thin board with a concave tail, it won't float as much, so more of you will be in the water causing more drag. If it's got a PP core, it will be stiff at this time of year, giving less projection. If it's a cheap board, you will get less speed out of it. Ideally, I reckon something like a NMD Base 43" bat tail would be spot on for you in smaller stuff. I've got one and it's really good for me in everything about shoulder high or bigger.

4. timthepig

timthepig Grom

Thanks for your response. Quite helpful. I've considered this.

As I read from other sources that a bigger board is better in smaller conditions. Which is exactly what you're saying.

I've started to use a 41.5 (usually 42) NMD Ben Player PE Core (Crescent tail) 55/45 rails. Which works fantastic in bigger conditions and get down the face of the wave quick and trimming is quicker than previous board. Hell of a lot easier to duck dive with too. I feel like I have real control of the board for the first time. Love it - but if the surf is a little small. It feels a bit random whether I catch or not. End up just stalling or just turning back into wave. However it laps up those bigger waves and is a great board.

I used a Hot Buttered Shadow PE core crescent tail (42) 60/40 rails as my first board which was like duck diving a bunch of bricks bizarrely. Felt like less control (though 60/40 rails say the opposite).

5. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

I personally use a bat tail for the smaller stuff it seems harder to take off (ie more paddle effort) but generally copes well in slacker conditions.

If the wave is fairly small I find pushing upwards off your cocked wrist from the elbow area and slightly raising your body upwards and towards the nose slightly almost like that weird stretch you can do where you keep your legs and hips on the ground but arch your back up , weird to explain hope it helps.

6. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

I found this old picture of me in scarborough , the wave was about 1 foot so it shows you can do it

/monthly_02_2013/post-1168-14210873581486_thumb.jpg

Attached Files:

7. green802

green802 Pro Rider

Please dont think i'm asking you to suck eggs here but here's my own findings through my own (steep) learning curve.

Get right into the shoulder of the wave. Ok on small stuff this is sometime difficult to spot

Keep the board flat but not submerging.

Fin with straight legs, keep legs under the water.

Hold the board one handed and paddle like funk with the other. This was a Barber sponge school trick I picked up. It all helps.

Choose your waves / break points.

I too have bother on small stuff but now manage ok. Yup its great when there's a bit of height as you can use the drop to speed into the face rather than flipper yourself tired.

Hope this helps. Previous pic shows it can be done. Bravo

8. Spongedup

Spongedup Local Charger

got to stop pulling stupid faces when i`m riding though lol.

It helps to lean slightly forward on your board and push the nose down slightly just on take off , I personally try to go in diagnolly so i`m already geared up for gpoing left or right if that makes sense.

9. timthepig

timthepig Grom

Now it's been a few months. Lost some weight. I've discovered I've been doing ok in some surf and not others.

I have come to notice when the waves are smooth. I catch fine. It's just went it's a bit bumpy, choppy and small. It's just a bit fruitless. As on a good quality wave day. It's hell of a lot easier.

Had an awesome day in 2ft to 4ft and managed to get tiny tubed a few times.

10. lwills

lwills El Floppo King

Congrats dude, glad it's coming together for you :)

Did you ever check out the esp after?

11. green802

green802 Pro Rider

Piggy,

Yup. A week of good waves is worth a year of [email protected] ones. When its perfect you're skills and confidnce rocket.

Paddlefests are just a test of your stamina. You'll find only the fittest most experienced boarders manage to get the most out of messy days.

Keep on it.